There are different ways to receive a tarot reading. Before, the list was limited to mostly face-to-face readings, calling a hotline, or knowing someone personally. These are all great ways to receive readings, but the internet has now offered the ability to communicate with someone you connect with, even if they live across the country, or globe.
There are pros and cons to different styles of readings. These numerous options allow you to find someone that will match the reading style, or attitude you share with tarot (predictive, intuitive, counseling, etc.).
Please keep in mind that these are my opinions, and many other readers will differ. This is a great thing, because it means that different readers are suited towards different seekers. Please also note that I have not done fairs, telephone, or Skype readings for clients, so in the spirit of honesty, I will only be listing in-person, and email readings.
Reading in person: Pros
- Being in person allows a great freedom for energy transfer, dialog, and safety. I love when I get to sit with my clients because I get to share that space with them. Having the space to just sit, communicate, cry, laugh, and question without any judgment amplifies how worthwhile a reading can be.
- Another positive aspect is the commitment. If you commit, either through appointment, or walk-in, you have already made a huge step in loving and empowering yourself.
- If weather and trust permit, you can take tarot on a walk or to the park. You can step out of the walls of buildings. Spaces have energy, and if the energy is good, it can enhance the reading. Buildings can also hold so much love, so there is no hierarchy.
- The atmosphere can be multi-layered. It can be casual, but also serious in the attempts to reach the bedrock of a problem or question.
Reading in person: Cons
- Space is often an issue. I read at White Wolf Medicine, which is a beautiful holistic pharmacy in Elizabeth, Colorado, but it is not close for many people. If people want to book with me, but cannot justify the long drive, space becomes limited.
- I personally do not like to do readings in coffee shops, book stores, or restaurants. Tarot brings MANY emotions up. The subconscious is brimming with held-in feelings and thoughts, and a tarot is a easy drive to release that energy. I don’t want my clients to feel like they have to suppress needed emotions because we are in a loud Starbucks. I don’t want to feel like I have to hold back things that the tarot surfaces. Many spaces are much more forgiving, but it still feels like an intrusion to me.
- Many tarot readers love to read in these places. I like private settings. I like a more intimate space where it is just me and my client, and the tarot. The other con is that sadly, many people still look on and judge tarot as artificial or cheap. I would not want that energy to permeate a beautiful space.
- Finding time is hard these days. Everyone is working, or on the go. Face-to-face readings, while beneficial in many ways, promotes one more deadline or appointment to keep.
Email reading: Pros
- Tarot does not have to be done face to face anymore. In fact, many tarot readers have websites where spreads are listed, prices are enclosed, and other information is given. Social media accounts can help determine if a certain reader will suit your needs. If they do, but they are in a different state, you can still connect with them for a reading.
- Email readings are often written as word documents, so you have the reading at your disposal. You can print it out, hang it up, make notes, and come back to it as you need.
- Another positive is sometimes distance makes the difference. When there is the distance of an email, some people may actually respond and connect with it better. They may feel insecure with face-to-face reading. They may feel too raw to meet in person. An email reading allows them the full energy of a reading, without the worry.
- Finally, time is hard to come by these days. Cars are not always reliable. Family needs are a priority. An email reading takes a lot of the hassle of keeping an appointment away.
- Email readings do not cheapen the quality. Many readers prefer email style because it allows them to devote that time to the seeker uninterrupted by outside noise or neighbors.
Email Reading Cons:
- Things can get lost in translation, and it is not as easy as simply asking a question. There must be detailed follow-through from the reader, and detailed notes from the client.
- For those who prefer readings in real-time, emails can sometimes lack personal connection. It is doable, but it does not give the shared energy of the person sitting there with you.
- The wait time is often a standard 7 days. Often the reading comes before that 7-day deadline, but 7 days is a standard time. With booking a real-time reading, you receive the reading that day.
These are some of the pros and cons to in-person vs. email readings. Thank you for reading. Please let me know what your preferred tarot reading styles are and why. Stay wild wolf-pack!
Much love darlings,